Saturday, September 12, 2015

My Experience with Zelda Part 1



The Legend of Zelda has been, without question, my favorite series of video games. I love the idea of exploring a fantasy world full of secret passages, strange enemies to defeat, puzzles to solve, special weapons to find, and princesses in need of rescue. These five posts will have my own experiences with the games. 


My first memory of Zelda is seeing the original TV ad with the guy yelling, “ZELDA!” in a dark room (not the one with the 2 kids doing the “rap”). I thought it looked interesting and maybe along the same vein as, say, Pitfall. I wanted to play it right away, but didn't have a Nintendo Entertainment System at the time, and no immediate prospects of getting one. I was aware of my parents' financial situation at the time (money was tight, but we weren't starving/homeless or anything) and didn't want to demand anything of them. The initial draw for me was the challenge of the puzzle - finding Zelda. 
Months later, I went to my friend Brooks’ 9th birthday party. His cousin Matt was there, and he had brought The Legend of Zelda with him. I didn’t put it together that this game and that one from the weird commercial I had seen were the same game right away. All I knew is that I couldn’t put it down. I really didn’t care about the rest of the party; I just wanted to play Zelda! I found the first dungeon by accident and went inside. I didn’t know about block-pushing, so I initially tried bombing the blocks surrounding the stairs that led to the Bow to no avail. I didn’t stop dreaming about that game and how to get down those stairs for weeks. Besides the exploration and puzzle aspect of it, I absolutely loved the concept of the "shooting sword," and what a cool weapon that was. I learned how to mimic the sound effect as best I could and probably drove my mom crazy with it. 

After that I didn’t play any Zelda games for quite a while. My friend Michael from across the street got a Nintendo, and along with It, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Like the first game, I had seen a TV ad. This one wasn’t as goofy, but kept the trope of yelling Zelda’s name.

The thing that stuck out in my mind was the scene where Link was banging on some kind of “invisible barrier” as he is prevented from getting to Zelda. It seemed to me that this was probably midway through the game where the hero is close to obtaining his goal but prevented by some magical means. As it turns out, Link starts the game by Zelda’s side, and is never lost and her whereabouts never in question.

Anyway, once I started watching him play that game I basically lived over at his house. I’m sure Michael’s parents got sick of me coming over. I played here and there, but mostly watched like it was some kind of real-life drama being played out before my eyes. Sometime later, as Michael and I were talking about games and such, we got onto the topic of the first Zelda game. As he told me about it, I realized that I had, in fact, played it and it finally clicked that the game I had played months earlier at a birthday party was the precursor to this new game I loved. 


During this time, it seemed like Nintendo-mania was on an upswing. There was a Mario/Zelda themed breakfast cereal, as well as a TV show - The Super Mario Bros. Super Show. It featured a combination of live action and animation Mario content, but on Fridays, the animation was The Legend of Zelda instead. I looked forward to each Friday for that reason. It was a little cheesy, but that was pretty standard fare for "kids" entertainment in those days. I only wish that more than 13 episodes were made. 

On Christmas day of 1989, my family got an NES and Zelda 2, just like Michael. I finally had my own copy and didn’t have to bother him (as much). As expected, I played that game a lot and got quite good at it, not only memorizing where everything is but mastering advanced techniques like killing Ironknuckles easily.

I had gotten Nintendo literature and posters as inserts of games or through Nintendo Power, and had always stared at the pictures of Zelda 1. Compared to what I was used to in Zelda 2, the original’s version of Link seemed short and squat. In my mind, newer was better (and that’s often true with video games) and I saw sequels such as Super Mario Bros. 2, Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, and Mega Man 2 as being superior to the originals mainly for that reason.

I had played and/or seen little bits of it here and there, like when I went to my friend Chad’s house and we tried to finish Ganon’s lair, but got lost. I called up Michael and he talked us through it using a map he had obtained from Nintendo Power. Another time I was at my friend Eric’s house and desperately tried to finish the first dungeon but didn’t have enough skill.

But it kinda always bugged me in the back of my mind that I had left a quest unfulfilled, and a game unfinished. I rented the original Legend of Zelda from Albertson’s and sat down to conquer this game. And that day, of all days, was the day my dad decided to take my brothers and me to the school field to play catch. I didn’t really want to go and wasn’t very enthusiastic, as this was eating into my limited time to play the game.

I didn’t get super far, as I wanted to try to do it all on my own. I did a LOT of wandering around, because I thought I wouldn’t have enough time to make a detailed map or anything. I only had Friday and Saturday until 5 PM with this game.

My aforementioned friend Eric ended up moving across the street from me, so I was able to borrow The Legend of Zelda a few times and finish it. I wanted to own the game, but didn’t have the cash, and didn’t know of any used game stores (since most were pretty new at the time). Using Zaks, I made some Triforces. The animated series depicted the Triforces of Wisdom and Power as blue and red tetrahedrons, respectively. However, I ended up making triangular prism-shaped Triforces instead, along with a black one to hold them all together. I kept candy in them, but as it turns out, the real shape of them was in fact triangular prism, and it was confirmed by the title screen of the next Zelda game. 

In the summer of 1992, I bought The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I used my own money I had earned from a paper route and took the opportunity to buy it from Toys’Я’Us in Boise while we were over there doing something my mom had to do. Along with it I bought a gaming magazine that featured the game (it wasn’t Nintendo Power). But it didn’t really have many tips or maps, just kinda previews. After making the purchase, having to run errands around Boise (including buying an above ground pool) was like torture. 

I read the instruction manual and looked through the magazine to bide my time, but I was very anxious to get home to play it. I continued to read the manual in the car on the way home. When we finally pulled up to the driveway I jumped out and ran downstairs, only to find my dad playing Tetris on the NES (which was hooked up to the same TV). While I waited for my dad to finish, I went and fetched Michael, as I was sure he would like to see it. Michael came back to my house and we started playing. We stayed up all night except for a small nap that we each took. I don’t think either of us had permission to do a sleepover, but whatever. The next day was rough because I had only gone on a couple hours of sleep. 

Michael was the one who pointed out that the overworld theme was the same as the original game to me. Once I took a good listen, I discovered that he was right and loved the music. I also asked him about the geography of Hyrule from the original game, as I hadn’t memorized it at the time.

I got stuck on a few spots, and consulted the hint guide that came with the game. I later had found that the original Zelda had included a map with some hints because the game gave very little direction and expected the player to figure things out. ALttP was more or less the same, but the in-game dialogue was much better and the hint book was to be used as a last resort. There was also the Nintendo Game Counselor hotline, where one could call (paying long distance fees, of course) for hints and advice. I ended up calling once, and expected to get in trouble for doing so, but I was never confronted. Turns out the phone bill was a source of contention between my parents and my mom probably didn’t raise a fuss for fear of the month’s total being made aware to my dad.

I played ALttP over and over, even finishing it in one game on a Sunday afternoon. I learned how to sequence break a little, and explored every nook and cranny of Hyrule. About the only secret I didn’t discover was the Chris Houlihan room.


In the spring of 1993 we got 3 Game Boys, so I could finally play portable Nintendo games. I bought The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening in December just a couple days after Christmas. Like ALttP, I played LA a lot and found Koholint to be quite charming. I remember thinking that a few of the elements of the game were strange, and that this game represented a bit of a departure from the series. My friends Edgar and Quincy’s theory was that Shigero Miyamoto was on ‘shrooms when he produced this game. But overall, it still felt and played like a Zelda game. I wouldn’t find all of the pieces of heart until years later.

I would later play it on my Super Game Boy and colorize it with browns and greens. I also lent Michael a Game Boy (we had 3) and LA so he could finish the game. I also was finally able to get my own copy of LoZ from the Card Shop (which also dealt in used games) in near mint condition with an instruction manual. I traded my copy of Contra III on the SNES for the game straight over for it. Now that I had unlimited access to it, I played through it several more times, even completing a swordless run. My mom purchased some Zelda and Mario placemats for us, which I believe was the first bit of Zelda merch that we had (other than the breakfast cereal).


Michael’s copy of Zelda 2 had stopped working and borrowed ours one time. He returned it a few days later while I happened to be playing basketball outside with my brothers. I was being lazy and didn’t want to run it inside, so I set it on our front porch, figuring it was out of danger of being hit. Well, at some point the basketball hit a corner and bounced funny. The ball landed squarely on the edge of the cartridge and chipped off a piece, exposing the gold contact points.

Sometime around here there started to be rumors swirling of the next Zelda game. Somehow my mom heard that the next one would allow you to actually play as Zelda. Looking back now, I realize that she had gotten wind of the CD-i games, and was probably talking about Zelda's Adventure. Perler Beads started becoming popular around this time, and using the 6-sided star pattern, I was able to make a fairly large Triforce out of them and melt them all together. I hung it above the door to my room, not knowing that it would be similar to something in the next Zelda game, which was . . . 


The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was scheduled to be out in November of 1998, five years since the last (official) one was released. Unfortunately I was (ironically) in Japan at the time and wasn’t able to play it. I stood and watched the game demos running in electronic stores for hours, while reading the brochures and any other free literature I could get my hands on. I also ended up buying a package of OoT trading cards and the soundtrack to listen to in anticipation. I also found the original Japanese ALttP guidebooks at a second-hand bookstore for a fairly good price. 

As soon as I got home in April of 2000 I was itching to play it. I played Ocarina during most of my free time as I reintegrated into the American culture. My mom started to get annoyed with how much I was playing, but Michael understood, as he had gone through the same thing 2 years earlier. I felt a need to discover everything about this new version of Hyrule and learn more about its lore. I felt like this was a new chapter about the history of Hyrule that had been written about in the manual for ALttP as the backstory. One funny thing that happened was that I didn't bother unfreezing King Zora before heading to the Water Temple. I figured the Zora Tunic would be the treasure in the Water Temple, and that I just had to suffer through holding my breath to creatively get around the dungeon until that point. In other words, I accidentally made the game quite a bit harder. 

I probably went through Ocarina three times in the next five months, memorizing all the little secrets and finding new ones. During this time I moved out of my parents house and became a roommate of Edgar, who also had a N64 and Ocarina. Another roommate, Todd, was slowly making his way through the game. I would sometimes watch him play to see the problem solving process he was working through from a perspective different from my own.


Edgar had bought a Game Boy Color and the colorized version of Link’s Awakening. He hadn’t really gotten to play the original much but enjoyed the game. I didn’t pay too much attention to it, as I figured the colorization was basically the same as what I had done with the Super Game Boy. But it turns out it was much better and also included a bonus dungeon. Sort of like how it bugged me that I had never originally finished LoZ, it kinda bugged me that there was a new dungeon that I had never finished, but I let it go for the time being.

In October of that same year, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask debuted. I bought it the morning of the release day, the first time I had done that. Edgar and I were both playing it in our free time, having a friendly competition to see who could finish certain things faster. I ended up completing the game sooner, but I was missing many of the masks and around 15 heart pieces. Occasionally on the way home from work I would stop into the Target I bought the game from and take a quick peek at the strategy guide for a few pointers.

I really loved MM; the sadness, the story, and getting to interact with NPCs who didn’t just stay in the same place saying the same thing the whole game. It quickly rose to the top of my list as my favorite Zelda game. 

Around the time that MM came out, I started dating the woman who would become my wife. When I wasn't out with her, I was usually playing Majora's Mask (or trying to get the last few cheats on Perfect Dark, but mostly Majora's Mask). She even helped me go spider hunting in the beach spider-house one time. Lucky for me, I got to connect the two biggest things on my mind at the time and kill two birds with one stone. 

Right after we got married, we moved into an apartment and didn't have much of anything besides a mattress at first. But we did have my 13" TV, the SNES, and the N64. She didn't have a job at the time, so she played ALttP, LA, and OoT to kill the time. At some point she had finished those 3 games and started MM, but she didn't like the 72-hour mechanic and didn't complete the game (this also coincided with her getting a job and starting to do some daycare, so she didn't have as much free time). 




No comments:

Post a Comment